Daphne Jackson Fellowships are retraining Fellowships for anyone who has taken a break of two years or more from research for family, caring or health reasons.
Requirements for all candidates
The application process for a Daphne Jackson Fellowship is competitive. Individuals wishing to be considered for a Fellowship must meet the following criteria:
- A career break of at least two years’ duration, taken for family, health or caring reasons
- A good first degree in a research subject
- A PhD, or ideally at least three years research experience (academic or industrial) prior to the career break (with evidence of research impacts and outcomes). For Research Technical Professional Fellowships, those undertaking them may have a professional or technical qualification (e.g. C.Tech., C.Eng. or B Tech.) and not necessarily a PhD or BSc.
- Need to be resident in the UK at the time of application and have the right to work in the UK. We will consider applicants with a Tier 2 visa or those able to apply for a Global Talent Visa. Please contact the Trust directly for further advice.
- Good command of English (spoken and written)
- Good computer skills
- Your application will be stronger if you also have post-doctoral experience and research impacts and outcomes.
You may return to work during your career break, however, this must not include:
- Lecturing to degree level that takes up more than six hours a week
- Studying for MSc in a field related to your Fellowship as this would be considered to be retraining
- No form of paid research at any number of hours per week or limited duration is acceptable.
Limited voluntary research during your career break will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that Daphne Jackson Fellowships are not suitable for clinical researchers.
If you are unsure about where you fit in the above criteria, please contact us.
We will also evaluate applicants for their suitability for a Fellowship based on the following criteria:
- Personal background and experience
- The potential benefit of a Fellowship on the applicant’s future career
- The likelihood of securing sponsorship
If you meet these criteria and would like to discuss applying for a Fellowship, please contact us.
The Daphne Jackson Trust has the exclusive right to decide if we will accept and process an application for a Fellowship on the basis of these criteria. Our decision is final. We reserve the right to cease an application during the application process if we determine that the likelihood of success is too low to warrant the expenditure of further time and resource.